Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Valentine's Day Musings

Valentine's Day approaches us and romance is supposed to be in the air.......

Did you ever have one of "those" moments that confirms you're married to the exact person you were meant to be with??

I have on many occasions.

One was this past Sunday morning while taking a shower...I don't know what happened....One second I was washing my face and the next my right eye started to ache something awful.

Husband had just shouted to me that he was going to have to go to work for a while because one of his people failed to show up.. As he's yelling, "Honey, I'm going now......", I proceed to yelling:

"OW! OW! OW....MY EYE!!.....OW! OW! COME HERE QUICK!!!!"

Husband throws open the bathroom door, comes in and says, "What the hell is the matter?"

I continue standing in the running water with suds in my hair, hollering..."MY EYE! OW! OW!"..

Husband, "What'd you do, get soap in your eye?"

Me, "NO, IT JUST HURTS!!!! OW! OW!"

I will take this moment to confess I am somewhat of a wus when it comes to pain.

Still a little puzzled, he pulls back the shower curtain and there I stand in all of my glory, suds abounding, with my hand over my eye.

He reaches in, pulls my hand away and says, "OMG, your eye is like, bleeding or something... Like you've busted a blood vessel.."

He proceeds to pull me out of the shower, suds and all, and plop me on the toilet seat..

Peering into my face, he says, "I can even see the red creeping around your eyeball."

He rushes out of the bathroom, puts some ice in a ziploc bag and comes back..

"Maybe if we put ice on it, it'll keep the red from spreading."

By this time the ache is all but gone, I'm sitting stark naked on the toilet seat, dripping suds and water all over....The hot water is still running and the ice is melting on my eye because it's hot in there from steam.

But he stands there holding the ziploc on my eye with one hand and drying me off with a towel with the other. He continues this administration and calms me down.

As he stands there with his jacket still on, getting wet, I have "the moment".

This is the man who always has my back. This is the person who loves me with all of his heart. This is the person I was meant to be with.

The first time I noticed one of those moments was several years ago. Girly was just a baby and by luck of the draw I ended up having a hysterectomy. I remember after the surgery, they kept coming in and pumping morphine in me. Now, that can be a good thing (a really good thing).. But after a while, even a wus like me gets tired of not being even a tad clearheaded. Of course I couldn't vocalize anything because my lips and tongue were mush. At one point the nurse came in to see if I needed anything...... a drink? blankets? ready for food? and oh, yeah, some more morphine? I remember looking into Husband's eyes and mentally thinking, "I just wish I could get my head straight...."

Husband says to nurse, "Ya' know, I don't think it's the pain that's bothering her.... I think she's just tired of being "out of it"... She can't stay lucid." At that point they started to cut back the morph and only gave it to me when I asked.

"YES!!" This is the man who can read my mind. He knows me like a book. I don't need to vocalize to him... Except when I'm trying to get him to put stuff back in the refrigerator, pick his underwear up off the floor, etc..... When it comes to the real important stuff, he knows what I want and need.

Romance is the first year we lived in our current home.. Almost 20 years ago.. There were some hideously huge evergreen bushes in the front of the house. Grossly overgrown and ugly.
I wanted azaleas... something with flowers. So I went to the greenhouse and came home with 5 baby azalea bushes. Husband asks me where I plan to put them.

"Why, in front of the house, of course. "

"And what do you plan to do with these 45 year old hideously huge evergreens?"

"Well, I guess we'll have to take them out."

It took him a number of weekends to get those evergreens out.. The roots were huge and deep. He ended pulling his truck into front yard, tying up the roots and yanking them out. I thought the truck was going to pull the basement out from under the house, but he persevered.

Almost 20 years later, I have 5 very large, well groomed purple and pink azaleas along the front of my house. I think of him sweating, digging and pulling all those years ago.

That's romantic.

We are not the kind of people who get into flowery arrangements and words. Neither one of us is tremendously romantic. I think we both make a lot of romantic gestures which we, personally, think are romantic. Like on our anniversary, most every year, Husband brings me some sort of perennial or bulb plant for my front flower bed. Nothing expensive or big, but over the years I've developed a nice flower garden and we both can usually remember when we got each plant.

Never mind both of us have a hard time remembering what exact day our anniversary is...If you ask Husband when we got married, all he'll tell you is that we got married on Final Four Weekend. I remember it that way too. We had to make sure we had televisions hooked up in the reception hall. And later, we finished watching the playoffs on our honeymoon from Lake Tahoe. If we can't get the date right, we can at least get close on pinning down the weekend.

What matters is that I would jump over the moon for him and vice versa. Almost 25 years later, we are closer than we've ever been. We are bestest of best friends.

That's romantic.

Anywho, I did go to the doctor on Monday to find out that I had scraped an outer layer of my eyeball. I look gross. Everybody at work keeps looking at me, saying "Do you know your eye is all red?" Well, duh.... Yep, I think I noticed.

But my Husband took care of me. Romance can be relative.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home