Tuesday, January 16, 2007

These Are A Few of My Favorite Things (and Why)

I love, love the internet... It's such a wealth of information....

Example #1: A week or so ago our Whirlpool dryer broke.. just quit blowing and quit heating. It's only 3-5 years old (Husband and I differ, he says 3 and I say 5). Apparently time moves faster for me than him or vice versa.. Either way, the thing gave out way before both of us anticipated.

Now, Husband is fairly handy...I use the term "fairly" in loose content. I believe he thinks he's handier than he really is, because we have had some real messes in 20+ years of homeownership (ex: replacing 1st floor toilet where I was dubbed "plumber's helper"...OH, YUCK!!)..But this time he persevered and won The Battle of the Whirlpool.

He spent an entire day on the internet (in between takes on football) looking up the mechanics of our particular model and finally determined the source of the dryer's illness. Instead of costing us the replacement value of $500, it was a $25 thermostat. And now he can probably take one of those suckers apart and put it back together. Now, there's not a thing he doesn't know about clothes dryers. Just ask him, he'll tell you stuff that will put the Maytag man to shame. Of course, most of the info is totally useless. He's well on his way to becoming the next Cliff Claybourne (from Cheers). A virtual fountain of useless information...

From my own standpoint, there are several sights I frequent often..

I'm a "cooker"... I don't claim to be a gourmet enthusiast, chef or foodie. I just love to cook. I like coming up with stuff that pleases people. I'm a fairly decent cook too... Most of the time, anyway....There have been disasters over the years (ask Husband and Son about exploding spaghetti squash), but overall, I do pretty well. I used to collect cookbooks. But since the discovery of the internet, I just don't need them. I search for recipes, print and try them out, tweak them to suit me, make my notes and pop them in a folder.. TADA!!! Now if I would only organize them all. These are a few of my favorite sites:
allrecipes.com
http://recipegoldmine.com

I also love to plan vacations, especially my own.. Husband and I love Vegas..not so much for the gaming (well, maybe a little), but for all the glitz and glitter... We have a ball just walking up and down the strip, taking in the sights. We also usually go on one good family vacation each year. Last year we went to Seaworld (we would have gone sooner if we had realized that beer is free at Seaworld as Anheuser-Busch is the owner) and Universal for the the first time..Been to Disneyworld several times over the years, been out west to Tahoe, San Francisco, Yosemite, and many, many Atlantic beaches..We like giving our kids experiences. Because we're so economically minded (aka cheap), I'm always looking for the most I can get for my money.. These sites really help out:
http://tripadvisor.com
http://southwest.com
http://cheapovegas.com
http://lasvegastourism.com
http://allearsnet.com
http://www.northmyrtlebeachtravel.com

I could probably go on and on with the vacation stuff...I'm getting ready to start on our family vacation we have tentative scheduled for June.. We're tossing around taking Girly to D. C. (we took Son when he was 12, so she's due) or going back out west, possibly to the Grand Canyon or San Diego. Ummmmmm, decisions, decisions...Money, money....Got to get the most bang for our buck..

I am also always on the lookout for a good buy...I love cheap stuff. My husband will confirm that I am an avid collector of things on sale..Some times this proves to be very beneficial. Sometimes things just collect dust. Here's my favorite cheap stuff sites:
http://orientaltrading.com
http://lakeside.com

One of my best friends (SK) in the world just adopted a 14 month old girl from China. We've worked together at the same agency for over 15 years. I love her to death. When SK came to me and said she was feelin' "called" to adopt from China I thought she was crazy. Her bio-kids are 13 and 10. But SK was adament about it, so I got on board with her...Maybe too much.. I got into researching everything with her, reading websites, travel journals, etc. etc.

See, I now blame her for the fact that I'm on the way to a grandchild. She got my mommy instincts going and had me thinking about exploring adoption, foster parenting, or even getting another dog. So now the Fickle Finger of Fate has intervened, skewed my desires and is giving me a grandchild. Not exactly what I had in mind. I guess my shorthcomings in Faith combined with her whole hearted Faith came up with this package. So,,,,,SK, my having a grandchild is totally your fault. HA! Now, I really have someone to blame.

But I also have a favorite website that we discovered while doing her research.. You can keep up with most all families publishing their adoption experience from China from one spot. There is a wealth of real life info on this link. Stuff your agency doesn't tell you about. We both kept up and she was so very prepared for the trip and adoption process. We are having her baby shower this Friday, the 19th... (another one of my passions). On to the next....

www.chineseadoptionstories.homestead.com

I love Party Planning. My other BFF, KD and I are planning a baby shower for this weekend. As she has said, this part is the most fun of having a party!! More than half the fun is coming up with your plan, decorations, menu, etc. SK, KD and I love this stuff. I have always loved planning and executing my kids' birthday parties. At one time, I thought I would go into party planning and catering when I retire from my day job. That was until I took on the task of planning and executing Husband's 50th birthday party. I had 100 people invited. I did all the organizing, most of the food and the agenda. It was a hell of a lot of work. Things went absolutely perfect, but I was so stressed by the time the big day arrived, all I did was drink all day. Good thing that I took a vacation day the next workday. The older you get, the more time it takes to recover.. I was seriously hungover as with many others.. But there are many helpful hints to be had...

http://partypop.com
http://about.com/food

So, these are just a few words from an internet junkie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home