Tuesday, January 02, 2007

What I Get for Griping

Boy, was I a Grinch over the Holiday! When I read back over my previous entry I sound awful.

Well, I got what I deserved for being such a beeotch.....

Xmas came and all went well. I dealt with my in laws and received some impersonal presents. One was a camisole and slip from my mother in law. Obviously she hasn't looked at me in last 15 years or so... The cammie was a 34 (need a 38) and the slip was a mini-slip in a medium. HAHAHAHAHAHA! (need a large or more, I hate to admit). But I dealt with it and moved on...

It has always bugged me when people feel the obligation to buy you gifts, but fail to pay attention to your personal likes, styles, etc. I stressed so this year because I had such trouble trying to come up with stuff... I should have just remembered past Xmas presents from MIL and did the the best I could.

Gift giving should not be an obligation, but as much a pleasure for yourself as the recipient. I think that's why I enjoy buying for kids so much... I love seeing their surprise and pleasure when they open something that they wasn't on their list, but once they see it, they are tickled silly.

Now for the repercussions of my bad mood.

On Xmas Day Son and Girlfriend were over as well as the rest of my side of the family. After we had all ate and were hanging out, Son, Girlfriend, my mom, my sister and I were sitting around just talking and nibbling on leftovers. When Son says to me:

"Well, mom, it's time for your big present!"

"Really, what?"

"You're going to be a grandma...."

"Oh, baloney....you're kidding.."

"No, mom."

My first thought was that they needed our dog Brewzer to move back home with us because he and the other dog were too much together. And I voiced this out loud..

"What, is the dog coming back home?"

"No mom, Girlfriend is pregnant."

"Nuh-Uh.... You're lying."

I looked at Girlfriend sitting next to me on the couch and said:

"Is he lying?"

She looks at me a little shakily and decides to placate.

"Yep, he's kidding."

Son pipes up and says:

"No, I'm not.. Girlfriend is pregnant."

I am stunned and continue to ask him to come clean.

Finally, I look at Girlfriend and say:

"Well, one of you is lying..which one?"

She looks at me and stammers:

"I'm not saying anything,,,,,I'm just sitting here eating."

And to prove her point she shoves cauliflower and carrots with dip in her mouth at a record speed. So reality beigins to set in at this point.

My mother and sister are snickering to beat the daylights... Of course, my sister is 9 years old than me and has a grandchild and one on the way. That's just fine.. That's the way it's supposed to be... IT's supposed to her and not me. And, of course, my mom is supposed to a grandma, she's 76...

How in the world after being together damn near five years, living together for two of those years and just recently acquiring a home does this happen? I thought they had more sense. I have 2 different sets of concert tickets this month.. on back to back Friday and Saturday nights. This can't happen to me. I'm not somebody's GRANDMA!!!

When husband heard the news, he had no response. It's like the news went in his right ear, never registered or made contact and exited out the left ear. He's not mentioned it and neither have I. I think for now he's got the right idea. If we choose to ignore it, maybe somewhere along the way Son will holler, "APRIL FOOL!!", and our world will be back.

I've got to chew on this a bit...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home