Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Blogging Virgin

Yes, this the first time for me. I'm new to the Blog World. I know, I know....Always a day late and a dollar short. I really don't know why I'm doing this, other than I have been reading other blogs on various subjects and thought why not? Not only do I not know how to work the multiple MP3 Players in our house, I really have no idea how to work the IPod. Where does that put me? What's my 2 cents worth? Probably less than 2 cents.....

I really don't know how to start.....Should I voice my political opinions? My position on marriage? My position on parenting? What about my religious views? Geez Louize, I just don't know what to say.
So...I guess I'll start with my immediate family. There's my husband. Been married for over 20 years. He's the grandson of Italian immigrants who settled in Cambridge, MA. Very autocratic guy, at least in his mind. I've learned how to work him over the years. He is my hero. For all his faults, I know that there is no one in this world more protective and defensive of me and our kids. Yes, he has an explosive temper (he yells a lot), he's a know it all (although I know he doesn't)....I give him the benefit of the doubt. His goal in life is to provide as best he can for his family.. and he has. We have a lovely home, our kids have had every opportunity for private educations and we live virtually debt free. He loves his kids and his family with a vengeance. Although I have a career utilizing an advanced degree, we have always lived off of his salary as a sales rep. We've grown on each other over the years to the point where I don't think either of us can do without the other. He's my hero and I am his. I know this.
My oldest is my son. He is soon to be 23. He is a child of my heart for many reasons. I won't go into everything at this point. He is special in many ways. Always has beeen sensitive and emotionally in tune. On my side of the family he holds a very unique place. He is named for his grandpa (my dad). He is the only son my dad had from birth. His beginning in life was a great moment for my side of the family. Over the years he has given me the greatest joy of my life, but also my greatest heartache. As I watch him now, emerging as a responsible adult with a future, I am so proud. He is my heart.
My youngest is my daughter. The child my husband and I never thought would happen.
We waited for her and had given up...content with our boy and the fact that under the circumstances we would be just fine. But fate and a snowstorm in 1994 intervened. We had always intended to add to our family. When our son was 3, we gave up on the BC and assumed nature would take its course. It didn't. We waited. It preyed on me. I wanted another child. The perfect family of 4. We pursued fertility from a very rudimentary perspective. Both went thru testing, nothing really wrong. I may have gone further, but my husband felt strongly that if it was supposed to happen it would. Put our faith in God. (yes, we do believe) Lo and Behold, in the winter of 94, one month after my dad died of cancer I came up pregnant. We had no clue. I felt so icky. When I told husband that the last time I felt like this I was pregnant, he responded with "No way..You can't be pregnant. It's been 7 years. It's a tumor or something." What a guy. The tumor weighed in at 7 1/2 lbs and 20 inches long on 10/27/94. I wouldn't trade her for anything. She has three parents--her dad, mom and her brother. She is my best friend (most of the time considering her pubescent state) and she is my heart.
We have a dog. An overweight boxer named Brewzer. We had never owned a dog and had no desire to do so. But one day when my son was 19 he called home . "Mom! I just bought a dog. I'm bringing him home tonight." Dog? What kind? How big? "He's a Boxer pup... Don't worry, he's a miniature". I found out later there is no such thing as a miniature Boxer. He now weighs damn near 90 lbs. He is also a huge baby who is attached at hubby's hip. An extremely overweight toddler. We love him.
Myself - Don't know what to say. My life focuses around my kids, my home and my husband.. In that order. I work outside the home for a quasi-govermental utility. I love where I work. Been there 21 years. The agency paid my way thru undergraduate and graduate school. I owe it big time. I like what I do. I'm a woman working in a man's world but those fellas usually listen to me. I treat them like my husband and kids. I holler and carry on when I need. I'm not afarid to say what's on my mind. It's kinda like being old... Been there so long I've earned the right to speak my mind...and I do. I can retire in 07 with 22 years. Don't know if I will or not. Still got a kid in private school with 6 years to go, so it's highly unlikely. Especially if you ask my husband.
I think I've come up with enough for now. My thought in starting this is that it would provide some theraputic venting. Kind of a cleansing of the soul. I haven't even touched the surface yet. I guess it really won't matter if anyone reads or not. It will still do my brain some good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home