Monday, January 22, 2007

My New Crush....


For over 20 years now, I have told Husband that there is only one man on earth that I would ever leave him for........



Eric Clapton.




Yes, Eric Clapton, the old guy that can make a guitar sing soul and the blues unlike few others. Keep in mind he wasn't all that old when this started (and neither was I).. but not only is he a legendary musician, but there is something so sexy about him and his voice, I just melt when I hear or see him.. I have no idea what it is...I've never been the groupie type. Even in my 70's heyday.

Obviously, Husband has never felt threatened by my personal confession of attraction to another man. In fact, he seemed to find humor in my crush. Imagine that.

But now, after Saturday night, I have a new crush. Another guitarist, with a voice that stirs your soul.


Jonny Lang.

This boy is hot. In every way, shape, and form. He is one tight package. Husband and I went to a live show of his on Saturday night. I had only heard one of his CDs and thought it was pretty good but was not blown away. I wasn't prepared to be as awestruck as I was with his live performance.

We actually had tickets for the show back in November, but it was canceled and rescheduled at the last minute. And I do mean last minute. We were in front of the theatre when staff informed us that Mr. Lang was sick and the show would be rescheduled. His bus was in the back but he was too ill to perform.

This bit of last minute news did very little for my opinion of the young buck. At the time my thought was "Well, great... another kid on the fast track can't regulate his booze and recreational drugs." I wasn't the only one with that opinion. Obnoxious Husband and his equally obnoxious buddy whom we were spending the evening with were determined to go round back and beat on the bus windows in order to see if Mr. Lang was really puking or whatnot. With a little encouragement and ultimatums from their spouses, they refrained, and did not end up spending the night in the Jefferson County Jail. So as it turned out, the 4 of us hit some downtown bars and still spent a relatively pleasant evening. Any night out with my husband and friends is a perk.

So, as rescheduled, we headed back to the theatre this past Saturday night....We had good seats and were prepared for a decent show with good music. The opening act was a young guy who was pretty talented. Played acoustic with no back up band and did a noteworthy job. Unfortunately, I don't remember his name.. Reeve or Reef Something. I apologize to him for the slight.

Then Jonny Lang and his 5 piece band took the stage. Mr. Lang was actually a child prodigy in the 90's on the soul/blues/rock scene. He has matured magnificently. He played and sang for over 1 1/2 hours without a hitch, never missing a step. I am not of musician (Husband is an amateur), so I can hardly critique, but it seems this guy has talent oozing from his pores. He's also "not hard on the eyes" as my female friend with us commented.

You can say that again. The combination of his music, voice and looks knocked this old girl flat.

About a quarter of the way into the show, I turned to Husband and said:

"He's my new Crush."

Husband smiles and says to me in a placating way:

"Honey, he's not even 30 yet."

Defiantly, I say:

'Who cares? He is soooo cute!"

I don't know how many time in the course of the show I said: "Gosh, he's cute!" or "Boy, he's cute!" At one point during a particularly impressive guitar riff, I turned to Husband and asked "How come you don't play like that?".

Not in the mood to humor me anymore and wanting hear the concert uninterupted, Husband finally says:

"Teri----He's probably only about 26 or so. You could be his mother."

Maybe so... but I'm not.

So hence, my new crush.

Sorry Eric, it's been a long ride, but now you gotta get in the back seat. Mama's got a brand new bag.

Although, Husband is obviously not threatened by my attraction to this fella either. The next day he burned copies of the Jonny Lang CD's that we own so I could cart them to my car and/or office. Is that a trusting husband or what? Fantasy Island, here I come!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home