Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Dog Blog

Every now and then I like to write about the antics of our dog. He's an almost 5 year old Boxer named Brewzer.

He is a humongous baby.

Even though he weighs 80+ lbs. and has a chest like a heavyweight lifter.

Brewz is very broad. Everyone blames me for his weight issues. I had him fixed as soon as the vet gave the okay. Having no experience as a dog owner, I didn't know it would stunt or escalate any form of his growth. I just didn't want him peeing everywhere and hunching everything in sight. So we have a stocky, smaller headed Boxer. Sue me.

But Brewz is a sweetie of a dog. At first impression he may scare people. He's big with a big ol' head, teeth and droopy jaws. And he's excitable. He loves people. Everyone is his friend, regardless if they think so or not. Company cannot get past him without acknowledgement.

We live a rock's throw from an elementary school with a huge grassy field. Husband takes Brewz down there and lets him run. Running in the fenced yard cannot be compared with running without fence constraints. I don't know if Clydesdales gallop or sprint, but if they do, that's what this dog reminds you of as he runs at full speed to his heart's content. We call him "PonyDog"... At one point when I was with Husband during one of these jaunts, I commented,

"Ahh, look at him...He's so happy, he's smiling!"

Husband gave me a sideways look..

"If you had floppy jaws and were running at that breakneck speed, you'd look like you were smiling too."

Well, let's just conjure up that mental picture.

I still think he smiles when he's happy.

This past Sunday, as we sat at the table reading the paper and drinking coffee, Brewzer sat between our chairs. I ran across an ad that had a full page of doggie stuff on sale.

I held the ad down to Brewzer's level saying,

"Lookey Brewzie, there's all kinds of doggie stuff!"

Brewz studied the ad.

Once again, a sideways look from Husband,

"Teri, he can't read....."

Oh yeah?

Later that day when I came in from shopping at the same store as the ad, Brewz got all excited as I brought the bags in with the store logo on them. He sniffed around and really wanted to empty one particular bag. Well it was the one with his "Busy Bone" in it as advertised.

HA! And Husband says he can't read!

A big part of Brewzer's weight problem has to do with eating too much people food. I don't feed him people food, and Girly doesn't feed him people food. His other set of doggie parents (Son and Girlfriend) don't feed him people food either. So who's the offender?

Husband.

Whatever husband is eating, Brewzer gets some of it. He really doesn't beg, but he just sits there on his rump watching you eat, with big longing eyes. Husband has no will power. He is constantly feeding Brewz something.

If Husband cooks, it's on Sunday morning. Fried eggs are his specialty. Mostly because for some reason, I just can't fry an egg without busting it up. So then it's a scrambled egg. It must be a hand/eye coordination thing, because I am sorely lacking. Girly and I like fried eggs with toast to dip. So on this one particular Sunday, Husband had fried us up eggs and toast. He continued over the stove and I assumed he was fixing his own. All of sudden I hear the dog,

"Lap, Slurp, Lick, Lap, Slurp..."

Unbelieving, I say to Husband,

"Did you fix the dog eggs too?"

"Well, yeah... dogs really like eggs and they're good for them. It's not fair for all of us to sit here and eat while he doesn't get any."

Oh Geez.

And Husband tells me that Brewzer doesn't have any human qualities. Well, the dog can certainly can play the man like a fiddle.

At least I can admit I spoil the dog.

1 Comments:

Blogger SARA said...

Hi! I found your blog finally! (Helps when you give people the correct address) :)
Anyway, I had a boxer growing up and she was so much fun!!!
We have bulldogs now and a while after we got our first one, I decided to give in and give him a bite of egg. His face swelled up like a huge strawberry!!! His skin broke open on his face because it swelled so big. He was having trouble breathing... We had to give him a shot of steroids! my hubby was screaming at me for giving the dog some stinking eggs.... who knew he would have been allergic to eggs!!!!! So.... no more people food for our dogs.. and definitely no EGGS!!!!!

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home