Monday, April 16, 2007

Doggy Mortality Thoughts



This isn't my dog... just one that looks like him. Brewzer's face is black. In fact, Husband often refers to him as "You black faced devil!".

Brewzer's under anesthesia right now. He's having his hips x-rayed. Lately, we've been noticing it takes him a lot longer to get up and down. And sometimes he limps on his back leg.

So his two doggie moms, (DIL2B and me) decided to take him to the vet. We called first and the vet (we just love this guy) told me that it would be best to go on and xray him because of his age and weight issues. He said it could be something as simple as a strained hip muscle or it could be dysplasia. It could also be the onset of arthritis.

Brewzer is five years old now. In Boxer years that makes him fifty. This breed physically ages quickly. Right now he and Husband are about the same age. Husband being 51 right now. Maybe that's why they are so attached to each other. It's hard not to think of him as anything but our puppy. We still refer to him as "Puppy".

"What'cha doin', Puppy?"

"What'cha want, Puppy?"

"C'mon Puppy, let's go out!"

Okay, we know he weighs more than 8 puppies put together, but he's still my baby. He triggers all my maternal instincts as much as my own kids do...

This is ironic considering I had never owned a dog or even wanted one before him. Hell, I didn't want him in the beginning. He was thrust upon me when Son just brought him home one day as a ten week old baby dog. But as it typically happens, the mom became the primary caregiver.

I saw that he had food and water all the time. I housetrained him, took him to the vet for his shots and check ups, all the good stuff. Yes, I am the one who took him in and had him fixed. I am guilty of rendering him nutless.

I wasn't all alone in Brewzer's upbringing. Husband was even more resistant to him than I was... But he eventually warmed up. He taught him the basic commands, ("Sit, you dumb-ass", "Down, you dumb-ass"). I'm sure in his young months he thought his name was "Dumb-ass". Now they walk the neighborhood on a regular basis. Brewz doesn't need a leash most of the time. They just walk side by side. Brewz stopping to sniff, pee or whatever and Husband patiently waiting.

So, DIL2B took him in to the vet this morning at 7:30. I have to pick him up at 12:30. He'll probably still be groggy, so I'm sure I'll have to help him into the car. Especially since my Highlander sits up high...Hence the vehicle name... DUHHHH...

I know it sounds terribly stupid, but if something is wrong with him, we'll all be beside ourselves. I understand now how people get so attached. I've already made up my mind that I'll do or pay whatever the vet says he needs. He'll probaby be the Six Million Dollar Dog.

But I don't care. Anything for my Brewzie-Baby.

So, as silly as it sounds, please keep my doggy in your thoughts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home